Mini Apple Pie
1 3/4 cups: All purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon: Salt
1 Tablespoon: Sugar
3/4 cup (12 tablespoons): Unsalted butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
5-7 Tablespoons: Cold water
1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons): Unsalted butter
4 apples diced, (Granny Smith, Fuji or favorite baking apple)
3/4 cup: brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon: cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon: nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon: ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon: salt
For topping: (Optional)
2 tablespoons: melted butter
1/4 cup: rolled oats
1 tablespoon: brown sugar
1 teaspoon: flour
- 1)Preheat oven to 425.°
- 2)Make the pie dough (or make ahead of time). Combine flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Toss butter in the flour mixture, and then rub in with your fingertips until mixture is coarse and no chunks larger than a large pea remain. Add in water gradually and stir with a fork until dough starts to come together, then press dough into a ball with the palms of your hands. If dough is dry, add an additional tablespoon or two of water to pull the dough together. Divide dough into two balls and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- 3)Roll out dough to 1/8" thick on floured surface. Using a paper cupcake liner as a template cut out circles a little larger than liners. Line a greased muffin tin with dough circles. Let the extra dough hang over the edge of tin.
- 4)Bake mini pastry shells in oven for 12 minutes or until the shell is no longer raw but still pale. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350.°
- 5)In pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Coat apples well and simmer about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 6)Scoop a little of the mixture into each pastry shell. Be sure to press mixture down and fill to top.
- 7)Optional Topping: Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle a little on each mini pie.
- 8)Bake 25-30 minutes in a 350° oven or until slightly golden brown. Be careful to not let crust burn.